Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister said all options, including a military response, are open after attacks on two oil facilities that he blamed on Iran.
While Saudi Arabia wished to prevent conflict and escalation, the drone and missile strikes would hold Iran responsible, Adel al-Jubeir informed
This week, the United Kingdom, France and Germany backed up a US evaluation claiming that Iran was behind the attacks.
Any involvement denied by Iran.
The Iran-aligned rebel Houthi movement in Yemen, fighting a Saudi-led coalition in the civil war in the country, has said it has launched drones at the facilities.
But Saudi officials say the range, scale, and complexity of the attacks surpassed the Houthis ‘ capabilities.
Speaking at the UN General Assembly in New York to the news agency Chief International Correspondent Lyse Doucet, Mr Jubeir said: “Everyone is trying to prevent conflict and everyone is trying to prevent escalation, so we’re going to look at all the alternatives available to us. We’re going to create a choice at the correct moment.”
He added: “In the past, appeasement hasn’t worked with Iran, in the future appeasement won’t work with Iran.”
Last year, after leaving a nuclear agreement in 2015, the US re-imposed economic sanctions against Iran, and in May it said it would try to force all nations to stop buying Iranian oil and put pressure on Iran to negotiate a new nuclear agreement.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said to UN journalists on Wednesday that the US wished “a peaceful resolution with the Islamic Republic of Iran”.
“It will ultimately be up to the Iranians to make that decision, or to choose violence and hate,” he added.
French President Emmanuel Macron had tried to negotiate a historic meeting between President Hassan Rouhani of Iran and President Donald Trump of the United States.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani refused to meet Donald Trump during sanctions
But Mr Rouhani informed UN delegates he refused to meet with Mr Trump while the punishing economic sanctions of the country were in place. He cast doubt on the intentions of the United States, referring to the boast of Mr Pompeo last year that he had imposed “the greatest sanctions in history” on Iran.
“How can anyone believe them when American government officials welcome the silent killing of a great nation and the pressure on the lives of 83 million Iranians, particularly women and children?” he said. “Never, ever will the Iranian nation forget and forgive these crimes and criminals.”
He also rejected the concept of a photograph with President Trump, who staged several photo opportunities with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un-including an apparently spontaneous handshake in the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) of the Korean peninsula.
“Memento photos are the final stage of negotiations, not the first one,” Iranian President Hassan said.